[tex-live] bibtex apalike.tex/.sty

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Oct 26 23:21:37 CEST 2016

Hi Johannes,

    in the package bibtex, i think
    apalike.tex and apalike.sty should move from docfiles -> runfiles

True enough, thanks.  Fixed for tonight, I hope.

    It feels a bit strange and pointless to me to use a
    another/proprietary format for tex-documentation.

I agree, but I don't have the energy to try to talk to authors about
it.  If you or anyone else does (ha :), feel free, by all means.

Since .doc files can, in practice, be read with free software
(LibreOffice etc.), it's not a problem.  (Also, in theory, the file
format is "open" now, but that's a different story which you are
probably aware of ...)

Finally, as I'm sure you know, many of the TL files with extension .doc
(like bibtex's), are not Microsoft word-processor documents, but just a
text file that happens to have extension ".doc".

Thanks,
Karl