[tex-live] tilde in file/folder names (again)

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Oct 21 08:52:25 CEST 2016

jfbu wrote:
> a typical example is here:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/334933/is-there-a-need-for-a-more-modern-tex
>
> rather than providing a decent answer explaining xetex, luatex, LaTeX3, they just terminate the question. Even as a registered user I can't even express a vote to re-open it.
>
> now the poor guy who asked the question goes away with a poor opinion of the TeX community, for sure.
>
> I am saying this despite a kind of subdued tone in this question, like the guy felt like asking permission. Well he/she adopted subdued tone but was quickly expelled nevertheless !
Yes, a not unusual example, and one I find totally unacceptable.  It would seem that there is a small cadre of regulars who take it on themselves to "police" Stack Exchange, declaring "off-limits" any message that fails to meet their particular criteria without any consideration as to whether or not the question is (a) valid, and (b) worthy of discussion.

** Phil.
--

Philip Taylor