[tex-live] tilde in file/folder names (again)

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Thu Oct 20 23:29:06 CEST 2016

Le 20 oct. 2016 à 09:35, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> a écrit :

> jfbu wrote:
>> this is big problem with tex.stackexchange !
>>
>> number of upvotes is sometimes misleading and, more surprisingly,
>> the tick for accepted answer sometimes too
> That is one of many reasons why I refused to participate in its activities, another being the mechanism for allowing discussion on a topic to be arbitrarily terminated.
> Philip Taylor

Hi Phil,

a typical example is here:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/334933/is-there-a-need-for-a-more-modern-tex

rather than providing a decent answer explaining xetex, luatex, LaTeX3, they just terminate the question. Even as a registered user I can't even express a vote to re-open it.

now the poor guy who asked the question goes away with a poor opinion of the TeX community, for sure.

I am saying this despite a kind of subdued tone in this question, like the guy felt like asking permission. Well he/she adopted subdued tone but was quickly expelled nevertheless !

Best,

Jean-François