[tex-live] tilde in file/folder names (again)

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 09:05:19 CEST 2016

Sorry about that, I was completely wrong!

I was confused why \protected worked to make _ safe in filenames after
a package had made it active, but didn't work for ~  as I'd just had
an answer accepted on stackexchange doing that

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/334705/tex-capacity-exceeded-ot1ztmcm/334712#334712

but the reason turns out that that was completely wrong as well
(despite having been upvoted and accepted, you can't trust anything on
the internet:-)

in latex it _seems_ to work if you use the brace form \input{aaa_b} or
\input{~/xxx} and just look at the missing file error as latex avoids
tex's primitive missing file loop and generates an error with \write
and \errmessage in which case \protected does stop the expansion so
you get an error that aaa_b is not found, but it's actually looking
for aaa and typesetting _b :(

anyway sorry for the noise and raising false hopes of an easy fix.

David