[tex-live] TeX Live questions

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Sat Oct 8 21:27:54 CEST 2016

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016, humberto gonzalez-corona wrote:

    Hi, thank you for your help yesterday. I am using the amsmath package as you suggested but for some reason the following command does not work;

    \begin{proof}

    Trivial, use

    \begin{equation}

    E=mc^2

    \end{equation}

    \end{proof}

    I get an error message: !LaTeX Error: Environment proof undefined.

the proof environment is defined in the
amsthm package.

since the proof ends with an equation,
to avoid having the end-of-proof box on
a line by itself, place
  \qedhere
before the \end{equation}.

also, there shouldn't be any blank lines
in this example; however, i assume that
they are introduced by the mailer you
are using.

    I also tried to fake it by adding a square at the end of my proof with \boxempty. I also get an error message,

that isn't going to work properly.

    How can I solve these problems using teX Live?

\usepackage{amsthm} and follow the
other suggestions as given above.
					-- bb