[tex-live] texinfo not happy with texlive not producing log?

Liviu Ionescu ilg at livius.net
Sun Nov 6 09:05:47 CET 2016

> On 6 Nov 2016, at 00:50, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>

> That is not complete TeX Live, on the Debian side you need to install
> 	texlive-full
> to get a similar experience. `texlive' is only a meta-package that installs
> the '*-recommended' collections.

the installer offers the following choices:

```
Select scheme:

 a [X] full scheme (everything)
 b [ ] medium scheme (small + more packages and languages)
 c [ ] small scheme (basic + xetex, metapost, a few languages)
 d [ ] basic scheme (plain and latex)
 e [ ] minimal scheme (plain only)
 f [ ] ConTeXt scheme
 g [ ] GUST TeX Live scheme
 h [ ] infrastructure-only scheme (no TeX at all)
 i [ ] teTeX scheme (more than medium, but nowhere near full)
 j [ ] XML scheme
 k [ ] custom selection of collections
```

which one is the equivalent of the Debian 'texlive' package, that you named the '*-recommended' collection? the 'medium' one?

I searched the texlive-en.pdf manual and could not find this information.

since Debian is generally a good reference, I would like to have on my Mac the same features as on Debian, after "apt-get -y install texlive".

>> p.s. as a personal remark, the interactive install is definitely not for faint-hearted 'civilians'...
>
> One can use the GUI
> 	install-tl -gui perltk
> or for the complete dummy, the wizard:
> 	install-tl -gui wizard
> (default on Windows) to get simpler versions.

FYI, none of them work on macOS, Apple does not provide Tk in the default setup:

```
ilg-mbp:install-tl-20161104 ilg$ caffeinate ./install-tl -gui wizard
Cannot load Tk, maybe something is missing and
maybe http://tug.org/texlive/distro.html#perltk can help.
Error message from loading Tk:
  Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Tk module) (@INC contains: ./tlpkg /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at ./install-tl line 384.

Continuing in text mode...
perl/Tk unusable, cannot create main window.
Error message from creating MainWindow:
  Can't locate object method "new" via package "Tk::MainWindow" (perhaps you forgot to load "Tk::MainWindow"?) at ./install-tl line 394.

Continuing in text mode...

Switching to text mode installer, if you want to cancel, do it now. ...

```

regards,

Liviu