[tex-live] koma-script and hyph-utf8

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:18:29 CEST 2016

On 29 March 2016 at 13:00,  <texlive at schoepfer.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>>>      In the hyph-utf8 package, some .txt-files are empty.
>>>
>>> That I don't know about.  Mojca, Arthur?
>>
>>    Yes, it is intentional.  The .txt files contain patterns and exception
>> lists (as .pat.txt and .hyp.txt respectively), one by line; hence when
>> there are none the file is empty (only relevant for exceptions, of
>> course).  Not ideal, but that was the way it's been since we implemented
>> plain text hyphenation data.
>
> So the files are needed even if they are empty?

No, they are not really needed.
They were just added for consistence/simplicity. We didn't think of
"problems" related to the files being empty, but you are certainly not
the only one who complained.

> May i insert a comment, to
> make it nonempty?

Those files are meant to include one hyphenation exception per line. I
don't know where and how these files are used outside of TeX (or
perhaps in some TeX packages that I'm not aware of). There could be a
tool that would produce wrong results if it doesn't expect comments
(and even if it would expect comments, it is not clear whether a
comment would start with % or # or perhaps something else).

I would suggest you to simply remove those files rather than modify them.

> I ask because i want to build a package for my linux-distribution and the
> build-tool warns about emtpy files.

Which Linux distribution?

We plan to introduce some changes to hyph-utf8 in the next month, so
if you are starting the packaging now and are not in a hurry, you
could also wait a bit longer in order not to spend effort on things
that you'll have to fix later anyway.

Mojca