[tex-live] Can't adjust paper size with tlmgr --usermode

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 16:47:09 CET 2016

I'm puzzled by the following error:

$ /usr/local/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-cygwin/tlmgr --usermode dvips paper a4
tlmgr: package dvips is not installed - cannot adjust paper size!
tlmgr: An error has occurred. See above messages. Exiting.

In fact, dvips *is* installed:

$ /usr/local/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-cygwin/tlmgr install dvips
tlmgr: package repository http://mirrors.acm.jhu.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr install: package already present: dvips

I thought maybe I had to install it in user mode, but that doesn't work:

$ /usr/local/texlive/2015/bin/x86_64-cygwin/tlmgr --usermode install dvips
tlmgr: package repository http://ctan.math.washington.edu/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
Package dvips is not relocatable, cannot install it in user mode!

Is there a bug here, or am I misunderstanding something?

Ken