[tex-live] Directory structure for package including files

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:47:50 CEST 2016

Hi Urs,

first of all you should read the CTAN guidelines. CTAN itself is not
primarily used for installation, the contents must be easily
browsable. The maintainers require flat structure, everything in the
single directory. If the package is too complex, it is possible to
separate the files to a directory containing the macros, a directory
containing documentation etc. It is explained on CTAN. In addition,
you can upload a TDS zip file. In TDS (used in nowadays TeX distros)
the macros for your package will reside in
$TEXMF/tex/latex/your_package_name, hence it is not necessary to split
it to other directories unless you need different files for different
engines but having the same name. Anyway, even without the TDS zip
file the TeX Live maintainers can cope with it. As each package must
contain a README file, this is the best place where to describe the
structure of the package so that the distro maintainers know how to
install it.

Hope this helps.
Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz