[tex-live] General test suite for TeX-Live

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 09:30:51 CEST 2016

Hi all,

the idea of automated tested was here more than a year ago and I explained
that I consider it impossible. Nobody knows which set of packages will be
used in a document created by each user. It is only possible to create
subsets of test files. It happened to my zwpagelayout package, it did not
work for one user at all. After the bug report I found conflicting
packages, therefore I added code to cope with it. I still cannot guarantee
that it will work with every package (it does not work with xcolor and the
support of RTL is very limited). Without loading such packages you cannot
find the problem and it took a few years before somebody did it. In this
case the error appeared when the package was loaded, but for instance if
you have path.sty together with any package loading url.sty (for instance
hyperref), the packages wil load without errors but it will fail when
typesetting the URL.

If you load a lot of packages into a single document, it is more probable
that new clashes will be detected but then it might be difficult to find
the reason. Moreover, it sometimes depends on the order of packages.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz