[tex-live] General test suite for TeX-Live

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Jun 18 07:59:18 CEST 2016

Hi Uwe,

I think this is a nice idea, but needs good thinking. I don't want
just a bunch of examples - all must be automatized and best
included in our daily checks.

I have pushed the L3 Team to include support for reproducible builds
(SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH) into the l3build suite, and I am now working/thinking
about setting up some environment so that package authors
can upload tests, or we write them. These test would be run against
l3build tester automatically during the nightly rebuild.

For now I am thinking aobut hte following:
  - for every latex package (.sty file) if nothing is extra specified
    for testts we try a simple document like:
	\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage{....}
	\begin{document}Hellow Wolrd\end{document}
    and make sure that hte generated pdf does not change under S_D_E settings.
  - one can override the documentclass, engine, etc etc on a per sty
    file
  - one can submit more involved tests
* other tests coming (combinations, user supplied)

Well, that is all in very early stages and if I would have more
time I would have written some code already - maybe during TUG 2016.
Are you coming?

Maybe intereted people can make a brain storming session during TUG.

Also, I would prefer a git repository on github/lab or similar.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016, Uwe Ziegenhagen wrote:
> I think it might be a good idea to create a general test suite for TeX Live

All the best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert + TeX Live & Debian Developer + http://www.preining.info
GPG: 0x860CDC13    fp: F7D8 A928 26E3 16A1 9FA0  ACF0 6CAC A448 860C DC13