[tex-live] TL2016 brings "no driver" error where previously there was none

tljack at forallx.net tljack at forallx.net
Mon Jun 6 23:24:31 CEST 2016

I just got TL2016 installed.  There is a LaTeX document that with TL2015
typesets (pdfLaTeX) fine with no errors or warnings, but when I typset
it with pdfLaTeX from 2016 I see:

/tl/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty:94: Package graphics
Error:
No driver specified.

I don't know why it's saying this or why it's asking for a driver.  I
don't have a funny document or a funny preamble.  All it does is this:

\usepackage{enumitem,geometry,array,graphicx,amsmath,amssymb}

I see this even  if the entire textual content between the
\{begin,end}{document} the body is "Foo".

If I remove the "graphicx" the error goes away.  Doing "texdoc graphics"
reveals nothing to illuminate this or why it would suddenly be different
from TL2015.

-jack