[tex-live] TeX Live installer -- an idea for TeX Live 2017

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 12 23:43:27 CEST 2016

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> (long snip -- I am installing Scheme-full overnight)
>
> I vaguely remember that you once mentioned that your download rate is
> 2 Mb/s.  Just cancel the contract.  There is no risk.  Your ISP will
> contact you immediately and offer better conditions for the same or a
> similar amount of money.  There is no need nowadays to spend several
> hours in order to install TeX Live unless you are living in a rural
> area ...
and that is the point at which I must interrupt.  I /do/ live in a rural area; I have a faster connection than most of my neighbours, but I can still only get between 2 and 3 (currently 2.7) Mbps.
> where no ISP is willing to provide the necessary infrastructure.
It is not that they are unwilling; it is that they cannot.  We do not have LLU at Hunton Exchange -- it serves only 300 subscribers.  We do have SLLU, with a single supplier, but they will not offer a fixed IP (on which I depend) unless I take out a business contract, which (a) immediately imposes a (ridiculously low) monthly download limit, and (b) costs the earth.  So I stick with ADSL2+, totally unlimited downloads, and a half-decent 917Kbps upload speed.
> And you can always consult other ISPs.
Who can also offer me only ADSL2+.
** Phil.