[tex-live] TeX Live installer -- an idea for TeX Live 2017

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jul 12 16:25:34 CEST 2016

Hi Phil,

>     <binaries for current platform>
>     <support files to enable basic TeX, PdfTeX, XeTeX, ...  use>
>     <build basic formats, etc>
>     <support files for LaTeX>
[...]

If you could come up with a categorization of all packages in TL
according to your needs, that would be helpful.

> In that way, a user could start testing TeX Live 2017 (+) within a few minutes of commencing installation, whereas at the moment he or she has to wait until the entire download is complete and all formats (etc) built, which in my case can confidently be predicted to be several hours ...

Hmmm, intermediate format building and font map updates are an option,
but rather tricky to implement (please check how we did it on Debian -
your favorite hate distribution I guess ;-).

OTOH, as installations of TL is a once-in-a-year action, I am not sure
whether this complicated adaption really pays off? Feel free to use
TL 2016 while installing TL 2017!

Norbert