[tex-live] TeX Live installer -- an idea for TeX Live 2017

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jul 12 12:24:51 CEST 2016

Unable to rsynch, I have fallen back on the tried, tested but slow, http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-windows.exe, and as every year, after the initial dialogue has completed, I am told "Installing 12many, installing 2up, installing Asana Maths,  ...".  Now, the probability that the first thing that a user would want to access being "12many" is vanishing small, so could not the installation proceed in a more logical fashion, i.e.:

    <binaries for current platform>
    <support files to enable basic TeX, PdfTeX, XeTeX, ...  use>
    <build basic formats, etc>
    <support files for LaTeX>
    <build LaTeX formats, etc>
    <support files for other formats>
    <build other formats, etc>
    <anything left over>
    <rebuild formats, etc., if necessary>

In that way, a user could start testing TeX Live 2017 (+) within a few minutes of commencing installation, whereas at the moment he or she has to wait until the entire download is complete and all formats (etc) built, which in my case can confidently be predicted to be several hours ...

** Phil.
--

Philip Taylor