[tex-live] TeX Live 2016 binary distribution milestone

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Thu Jul 7 01:08:48 CEST 2016

On 07/06/16 23:43, Karl Berry wrote:

>     it ought to be feasible to
>     host xindy on different implementations of Common Lisp.
>
> Indeed.  Would be great, if Joachim (or a new xindy volunteer) is up for
> working on it.

Roughly 6 weeks ago, I started to evaluate what other CL systems
are available and widespread. Currently, Steel Bank CL
http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/ looks like an interesting choice. Or
ECL https://common-lisp.net/project/ecl/. Evaluation of Unicode
support in these CL systems is not done and important; we neither
need nor want UTF-8, but full codepoint support (32bit per
character is best).

IMO, it would be interesting to ressurect the original noweb files
and merge the few changes that happened since then; a port to
Allegro CL had been done there already. But Allegro Cl is not open
source, thus not an effort directly usable for TL.

If anybody wants to join that effort, or take over that task, that
would be great.

	Joachim

Joachim Schrod, Roedermark, Germany
Email: jschrod at acm.org