[tex-live] Class scrartcl Error: undefined old font command '\it' and '\rm'

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Sat Jul 2 01:59:13 CEST 2016

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:24:01 +0200
Michael Berger <idest at online.de> wrote:

> Going for new features and latest improvements of LyX and KOMA I
> installed texlive2016 GUI and Lyx 2.2.0

I suppose the Koma class stopped supporting those old commands and
something else called in your document is still referring to them.
If you find out which package does that, it is something that is
good to report so that it can get fixed.

You can bring the old commands back as needed via:

\makeatletter
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\rm}{\normalfont\rmfamily}{\mathrm}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\sf}{\normalfont\sffamily}{\mathsf}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\tt}{\normalfont\ttfamily}{\mathtt}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\bf}{\normalfont\bfseries}{\mathbf}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\it}{\normalfont\itshape}{\mathit}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\sl}{\normalfont\slshape}{\@nomath\sl}
\DeclareOldFontCommand{\sc}{\normalfont\scshape}{\@nomath\sc}
\makeatother

just after your \documentclass line.

As mentioned by others, tex-live is not the best place to ask
about this kind of stuff. FWIW, there is a newsgroup dedicated
to such TeX/LaTeX user problems - comp.text.tex

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/comp.text.tex

There is also the texhax mailing list: