[tex-live] Conflict between luatex/babel/luainputenc

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Mon Feb 22 17:53:27 CET 2016

Le 14 févr. 2016 à 10:37, Benoît RIVET <benoit.rivet at free.fr> a écrit :

> If I remember correctly, using babel with luatex proved not reliable without luainputenc some years ago, which is why I used luainputenc with the utf8 encoding in the first place. However, testing on some typical documents, I do not find any problem with TexLive 2015, so I guess I can simply erase this line in my documents…

Here is an example, involving french guillemets. When using luainputenc, the quotation marks are printed as expected; which is not the case without luainputenc :

% !TEX TS-program = luaLaTeX
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[francais]{babel}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{document}
«French guillemet»
\end{document}

However, using fontspec, everything compiles fine :

% !TEX TS-program = luaLaTeX
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\begin{document}
«French guillemet»
\end{document}

Other example (euro, german sharp s) are given on
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/230268/new-century-schoolbook-font-in-lualatex

Herbert Voss, asked why I needed luainputenc : I need some symbols which are not available without luainputenc, unless I switch to fontspec. Being a happy user of the fouriernc fonts, I have yet to find an Opentype font matching fouriernc. TexGyre Schola is unfortunately not an option : as seen on http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/TeX-Gyre-Schola , the dots on i’s are hardly readable, which is not the case with fouriernc.