[tex-live] a question about Debian/TeXLive

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Dec 14 03:47:16 CET 2016

Hi Jean-François

you have already found the solution, but still a few comments:

> tlmgr conf, I am a bit surprised by the result, particularly the
> presence of /user/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

This is for Debian, and this is a link to
	/usr/share/texlive/temxf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
This is for backward compatibility with some programs (xdvi-ja?) that
search for the texmf.cnf file there and not anywhere else.

> TEXMF={/home/USER/.texmf-config,/home/USER/.texmf-var,/home/USER/texmf,/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist}
>
> and its /usr/share/texmf/ because in the problematic document

No, that is correct. Debian installs the TeX Live packages into
	/usr/share/texlive/texmf-dist/...
but there are some packages that are maintained independenty and
these are installing files into /usr/share/texmf. So that is fine.

> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/tipa/t3enc.def
> File: t3enc.def 2001/12/31 T3 encoding

tipa is one of the examples that is maintained outside the
texlive-* packages, for historic reasons.

Ah, and last but not least, this is a Debian question and should have been
posed on debian-tex-maint at l.d.o ;-) But since I am here, too ...

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer