[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Aug 28 10:09:35 CEST 2016

Dear Akira-san :

Akira Kakuto wrote:
> FcInit() is called by XeTeX, thus, as you know,
> caches are created automatically if needed, with
> a considerable delay of time. If you run fc-cache
> before, there is not the delay.
What I was experiencing was that the delay occurred at the start of /every/ compilation (regardless of the fonts that the sources referenced), and that the only way to prevent this was to run fc-cache C:/Windows/Fonts by hand (the last learned by trial and error).

> I'm not familiar with fontconfig.
> My experience seems to show that, if even a single
> font file is added/removed/changed, it is needed to
> update caches.
That is borne out by my experience, but do you not think that a modification to the behaviour of fcinit (), as suggested in my earlier message, would resolve the problem ?

--

Philip Taylor