[tex-live] fc-cache documentation ?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 18:55:00 CEST 2016

>> Is it the case (for example), that if I add a single font to the Windows font collection, then even if that font is not referenced by my XeTeX sources it is nonetheless necessary to manually run "fc-cache C:/Windows/Fonts" before I will once again be able to compile without waiting well over ten seconds for the first font to load ?
>
>   That sounds a little odd, but not all that unexpected.  I shouldn't be
> surprised if this very issue had earlier been mentioned on public fora,
> for example the XeTeX list.

It depends on fontconfig implementation and configuration. In the
early Linux version fc-cache was run automatically only on reboot,
later it was changed to run once a day. It can be configured in the
configuration file, the default was later changed to one hour, now 10
minutes. This means I no longer run fc-cache manually, I just wait a
short time after adding a font.

>> I respectfully disagree.
>
>   Feel free.
>
>         Arthur