[tex-live] TeXLive 2016 on Ubuntu

Br. Samuel Springuel rpspringuel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 03:11:20 CEST 2016

On 2016-08-25 3:52 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Please edit the equivs input file, and add
> 	asymptote
> to the long list. Then run the equivs command again, and install
> the package. After that you can remove asymptote, too.

So texlive provides asymptote.  Got it.

> Yes, by *default* recommended packages will be installed. That has
> been the case in Debian (and thus Ubuntu) since many many years
> (20+?)

Well, in my defense, Ubuntu is not my primary system (that's a Mac).  I
have Ubuntu VMs for the purpose of testing cross-platform compatibility
and helping to troubleshoot other people's installations.  However, it's
always good to learn new things so I'll keep this in mind for the future.

> Which version of asymptote do you have installed? In *my* version
> (2.38-1) there is *no* depends on texlive-base-bin.

The version installed on Ubuntu 14.04 is 2.15-2build2.  Clearly that's
well out of date compared to yours, but then the TeXLive version that
apt-get finds on that system is TL2013, so it's probably a matter of an
old system being behind the times.  On my 16.04 VM the version is 2.37-1
(with a dependency on texlive-binaries and not texlive-base-bin), quite
a bit closer to yours.

--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ