[tex-live] dvips does not create conforming postscript file

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Aug 11 00:20:30 CEST 2016

    But PageOrder is a comment introduced in Postscript DSC 3.0 and is not
    present in 2.0

Ok, but is this actually causing a problem?  I don't recall any report
ever about the presence of %%PageOrder, despite the non-conformance.
I would think it would have come up by now.

Anyway, if we're going to make a change, I'd rather remove the comment
than switch to 3.0.  That seems to have less potential for useless
disruption to me.  From what I can tell from the spec
(https://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5001.DSC_Spec.pdf),
the primary purpose of %%PageOrder is for documents with interdependent
pages.  As far as I know, that's not the case for dvips; pages depend
only on the preamble.  So it "shouldn't" (ha) hurt to remove it.  -k