[tex-live] gpg with tlmgr with tl 2016 pretest, etc, on a Mac

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at me.com
Fri Apr 29 03:25:49 CEST 2016

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 05:57 , Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
>
>> user I cannot use tlmgr this way?  But tlutil seems to work fine for the
>> non administrative
>
> Because it asks you about authentication I guess, but I don't know
> the internals.

If you mean TeX Live Utility, no, it does not prompt for authorization
just to list packages. I also have no problems listing updates in Terminal
on OS X 10.11 w/o authorization:

$ tlmgr update --list --repository http://ftp.math.utah.edu:80/pub/texlive/tlpretest/
tlmgr: package repository http://ftp.math.utah.edu:80/pub/texlive/tlpretest/ (verified)
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2016/tlpkg/backups
autorm:   babel-ukraineb           : local:    30298, source: <absent>
…
[snip package list]

Perhaps Jim has some environment variable set in Terminal that
is causing issues with GPG?

-- adam