[tex-live] [pretest] pdfcrop crashes when called from certain directory

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Apr 26 01:50:42 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-25 at 17:47:45 +0200, Uwe Siart wrote:

 > In addition to gs in TeXLive I have a separate installation of
 > Ghostscript. Now I removed this one from my path and the crash is
 > gone.
 >
 > Obviously it makes a difference which ps2pdf is called, although
 > both gs are version 9.19.

If you are using an external Ghostscript, ps2pdf is certainly an
MS-DOS batch file, but for the Ghostscript installation shipped with
TeX Live I replaced all these batch files by Lua scripts.

To be more precise, I did't look at the MS-DOS batch files at all,
I actually ported the Unix shell scripts to Lua.

Maybe the MS-DOS batch file provided by the external Ghostscript is
the culprit.  All these batch files are quite old and probably not
maintained for decades.

For TeX Live I ported them to Lua because I don't have Windows but the
Lua scripts are completely platform-independent.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de