[tex-live] getnonfreefonts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:10:23 CEST 2016

> There are about 50 fonts in CTAN which are in TDS and are not part of
> TeXLive. If is zip, tar, rpm ... it is not really different, the important
> part if that TDS organization is ready.

If it is in TDS, just put it to your $TEXM-LOCAL and run updmap(-sys)

> Now the format is all over the place: MF, Type 1, TrueType ... and a LOT
> of that work to classify them will have to be done. But my point is -- this
> should be done only ONCE and then all users of TeXLive could reap the
> benefits, instead of the situation that we have right now where this has to
> be re-done and re-done by each individual user ... and probably with a very
> low rate of success because of the cumbersome process.
>
> 15 years ago there was a reason to keep some fonts out of TeXLive - the
> space on the CD being probably the most important, but right now there
> seems to be no reason to keep them out.
>
> There are two ways to do it:
>
>   A- Include them on TeXLive

Ask the font authors to release them under a free license and it will
happen.

>   B- Make their download and installation automatic via a script.

Nobody can guarantee that all fonts on CTAN have exactly the same structure
so that one script could fit for all.

> and my question was essentially -- which way is preferable?
>
> There are NO reasons why font-installation should not be a completely
> automated process. It is like that already for some (the 10 fonts covered
> by getnonfreefonts, MathTimePro, MinionMath, ...) but the scripts are
> proliferating without any need for it. The script for the last two
> literally mimic getnonfreefonts line by line.

It can be automatic if all fonts are packaged exactly the same way. If you
do not force all font authors to pack the distribution in an exactly the
same way, the script will sooner or later crash.