[tex-live] problems with *.ttc fonts and lualatex/fontspec on TeXLive 2016 pretest

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Apr 11 17:00:09 CEST 2016

Hi,

I swear I do other things during the day (like eating),
but here it goes again

all three of

    \setmainfont[BoldFont={* Black}]{Hoefler Text}

    \setmainfont[BoldFont={* Condensed Medium}]{Futura}

    \setmainfont[BoldFont={* Bold}]{Gill Sans}

create errors with LuaLaTeX but compile fine with XeLaTeX
(and with correct fonts)

common to these fonts is that they are of the *.ttc type

I am on Mac OS Mavericks. These are System fonts there
eitehr in /Library/Fonts or /System/Library/Fonts.

The main font is found, the problem is with the bold one.

(after blacklisting LastResort.ttf to fix previous issue

/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/luaotfload/luaotfload-blacklist.cnf

and luaotfload-tool -u -vvv)

---- test document
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\setmainfont[BoldFont={* Black}]{Hoefler Text}

%\setmainfont[BoldFont={* Condensed Medium}]{Futura}

%\setmainfont[BoldFont={* Bold}]{Gill Sans}

\begin{document}

Hello

\bfseries

World

\end{document}
----

By the way originally I had Scale=MatchLowercase
and I saw errors like

./testgillsansluatex.tex:15: Undefined control sequence.
<argument> ...font }\rmfamily \l_fontspec_font \int_case:nnn
                                                  5{{5}{x}{8}{X}}{?}
l.15                         Scale=MatchLowercase]

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

./testgillsansluatex.tex:15: Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \LaTeX3 error:
                Invalid operation fp_to_decimal(inf)
l.15                         Scale=MatchLowercase]

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

but that's perhaps only a secondary issue.

Jean-François