[tex-live] a question about PATH

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Apr 10 01:08:35 CEST 2016

    Perhaps the tlmgr is prepending /Library/TeX/texbin to its own PATH,

That is correct.  We (TL) go to a lot of trouble to prepend the
directory in which executables are found to PATH, for most scripts that
we maintain.  (Still not done for everything, but the basic tl scripts
and mktex* scripts do it now, I believe.)

Undoubtedly it could be documented better (or at all -- I'm not sure if
we actually say it anywhere now except the source code).

    but if this is the case this is confusing to report it as "PATH" to the user,

I understand your point.  On the other hand, it seems to me it would be
equally confusing to report it as anything else, because that value *is*
the PATH value that is being used by tlmgr.  -k