[tex-live] Unable to download the remote TL database

Paulo Roberto Massa Cereda cereda.paulo at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 19:21:02 CET 2015

Friends,

This message is now appearing a lot when I try to update my TL
installation, even when I try with the master host. Not all the time,
but most of it:

---------------------------------------

[paulo at cambridge ~] $ sudo /opt/texbin/tlmgr update --self --all
Unable to download the remote TeX Live database,
but found a local copy so using that.

You may want to try specifying an explicit or different CTAN mirror;
see the information and examples for the -repository option at
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/install-tl.html
(or in the output of install-tl --help).

tlmgr: package repository
http://repositorios.cpai.unb.br/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2015/tlpkg/backups
tlmgr: no updates available

[paulo at cambridge ~] $ sudo /opt/texbin/tlmgr update --self --all
--repository=http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
Unable to download the remote TeX Live database,
but found a local copy so using that.

You may want to try specifying an explicit or different CTAN mirror;
see the information and examples for the -repository option at
http://tug.org/texlive/doc/install-tl.html
(or in the output of install-tl --help).

tlmgr: package repository
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2015/tlpkg/backups
tlmgr: no updates available

Is it something to get worried or just a temporary issue?

All the best!

Paulo