[tex-live] Add include and lib directories to TeX live?

David M. Jones dmj at dmj.ams.org
Tue May 12 16:55:23 CEST 2015

> Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 22:57:05 +0000
> From: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
> CC: <tex-live at tug.org>

> In my experience, there is no way for a third party like us
> to release shared libraries intended for general use and have them be
> anything but a source of frustration.

Fair enough.

> You could release your Perl bindings regardless of what is or isn't in
> TL -- I see no reason not to.

Sure, but it's a lot easier to write installation instructions if I
can just say "install this package" rather than "find the source code
and...".  My memory (and it's been a couple of years since I last did
it) is that it was more than just connecting to the kpathsea directory
in the texlive source code directory and then typing configure and
make.  But I might have missed something.

> Most distros do include kpathsea
> libraries.

I assume you mean Linux distributions?  I didn't realize that.
Thanks, that's good to know.

> So most users would like your bindings to work with those
> libraries, rather than anything that could come with TL.

That's not clear to me, but it's moot.

David.