[tex-live] About \newXeTeXintercharclass and latexrelease package

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sat May 9 15:07:05 CEST 2015

Am Sat, 9 May 2015 11:56:18 +0100 schrieb David Carlisle:

> I think the two justifiable positions for the emulation would be:
>
> to make it undefined (the part you quoted)
> (because it wasn't defined in the old core latex release)
>
> or to define it (the part I said we should probably do)
> (because it was defined in the old ini file)

Yes, this are the alternatives. On the whole I think that most user
would claim that the "latex core format" is the fmt and so based
one the kernel *and* the ini and would find it nit-picking to
exclude a definition only because it was in the ini and not the
kernel.

I know that maintaining compability is not easy, but
\newXeTeXintercharclass is imho quite important and should if
possible work.

> Actually what happens now is that all the inner workings are
> undefined, but the top level
> macro is left defined so you get an undefined command error on an internal macro
> which is not so nice... (sorry:-)

I also think that most users won't use latexrelease and so problably
never see this problem ;-).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/