[tex-live] Pathological search path for TeXMF.cnf

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Mar 16 21:48:05 CET 2015

> On Mar 15, 2015, at 06:47 , Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> If users of windows admit, I think I can remove the relevant codes.
>
> I will not change the present behavior of Kpathsea on
> windows in order not to introduce confusion.
> There are many others in addition to the ls-R issue,
> added to support windows, which may cause loss of performance.
> But I believe that TeX's on windows are usable at least.

Mac OS was having issues with kpathsea performance due to
case-insensitive behavior. I forget all the issues, but
IIRC it was reading ls-R multiple times; I gave Karl a
patch that improved performance by 5x or so on MacOS, and
presumably that will appear in next year’s TL. I think
this affected Windows, also, but don’t recall for sure;
there were some #ifdefs that we removed.

Adam