[tex-live] Identifying the cause of slow compilation

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Mar 12 11:08:37 CET 2015

Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Change the fonts to some which resides in the texmf-tree to check if
> here is the bottleneck.

That will take some (considerable !) time ...

> Do you call fonts by font name or by file name?

Typical font invocation set :

\def \normalfonts
    {%
	\font \bodyfont = "Palatino Linotype"
	\font \italicbodyfont = "Palatino Linotype/I"
	\font \bolditalicbodyfont = "Palatino Linotype/BI"
	\font \latinfont = "Palatino Linotype/I"
	\font \hebrewfont = "Arial Unicode MS"
	\font \headfont = "Arial Unicode MS/B:color=BF0000"
	\font \runningheadfont ="Arial Unicode MS/B:color=BF0000"
	\let \englishfont = \bodyfont
	\let \greekfont = \bodyfont
	\let \italicgreekfont = \italicbodyfont
	\bodyfont
    }

+

\font \captionfont = "Arial Unicode MS/B:color=005F00" at 8pt
\font \redcaptionfont = "Arial Unicode MS/B" at 8,8pt

> Did you update the xetex cache with fc-cache?

Just tried that, with -v -s -r :  no difference.

> As you are on windows: You could try the process monitor to monitor
> file access:
> https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx

Will try that next ...

** Phil.