[tex-live] automake issues with $(AM_V_P)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 10 22:09:39 CET 2015

TL uses automake, and we go to great lengths to make it possible to
download and compile our sources without rerunning automake at all.  I
fail to see how some other systems' use of $(V) is relevant.  I don't
complain when some other system uses conventions that I find abhorrent.

They started using $V quite a few years ago.  And they chose a short
name to make it convenient for people to change on a run-by-run basis.
Which people do.  It was not just stupidity.

That said, I still wish they had chosen AMV or some such.