[tex-live] Change in gerapali.bst

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de
Fri Jun 19 23:45:50 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-19 at 21:25:44 +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
 >
 > > If someone on this list doesn't know what I'm talking about, look at
 > >
 > >   http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples/urwvn-test.pdf
 > >
 > > On the last page, search for the line with the PostScript name
 > > "VnTeXPalladioL-SC".  This line contains *real* small caps (designed
 > > by Ralf Stubner).  The line above contains *faked* small caps.  IMO
 > > the latter are awful and should be avoided.
 >
 > I agree that VnTeXPalladioL-SC offers well designed caps and small caps,
 > but Don's "cmcsc10" is still /infinitely/ better than (e.g.,) Word's
 > attempt to fake small caps where they do not exist ...

Can you explain *why* you think that DEK's fonts are better than
Word's faked small caps?  I don't see any difference.  Fonts are
proportionally scaled down in both cases.

But there is a significant difference though.  The faked small caps in
urwvn-test.pdf (line above "VnTeXPalladioL-SC") were created by
fontinst.  The difference is that fontinst fakes glyphs only if no
font with real small caps is available.  Microsoft Word fakes glyhs
even if fonts with real small caps are available and installed
properly.  Maybe recent releases which support OpenType fonts are
better in this respect.

 > For myself, if forced to use Word and if I have no small caps font
 > available, I usually use normal weight full caps with bold weight
 > simulated small caps.

I can't imagine that the results are acceptable.  But when *I* am
forced to use Microsoft Word, I simply deliver the crap they expect
and everybody is happy.  They don't expect anything but crap.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de