[tex-live] Messages when a package update fails

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jun 16 15:54:33 CEST 2015

Am Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:26:23 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> Hi Ulrike!
>
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Installation of new version of tcolorbox did fail, trying to unwind.
>> xzdec: (stdin): Unexpected end of input
>
> Hmm, that means that prior to the update a backup was made
> (that is *always* done independent of the backup setting)
> but somehow the create .tar.xz could not be unpacked again with xz.
>
> This *IS* strange indeed ...

I'm not really surprised that tlmgr couldn't reinstall the backup --
after all the pdf of the doc was still locked.

> If this is repeatable, it would be nice to track this down.
> My guess is that due to the acroread locking also the creation of
> the backup failed, although this sounds strange...

I think I have seen this already on other occasions (I often forget
open documentations ...). At the next update I will try to remember
to force the failure.

The backup seemed to be ok, tlmgr didn't complain and started the
installation of packages until it failed a nr. 5:

[ 5/19, 00:19/00:58] update: tcolorbox [3589k] (37258 -> 37530) ...
tar: Could not create file doc/latex/tcolorbox/tcolorbox.pdf:
Permission denied untar: untarring
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\xhwZzeH08H\tcolorbox.doc.tar failed
(in D:\texlive\2015\texmf-dist)
TLPDB::_install_package: couldn't unpack
http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/tcolorbox.doc.tar.xz
to D:/texlive/2015/texmf-dist

--
Ulrike Fischer