[tex-live] inclusion of pdf figures in tex-live 2015

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:03:39 CEST 2015

On 13 July 2015 at 16:41, Georgios Akrivis <akrivis at cs.uoi.gr> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I have a book written in XeLaTeX, in which I include both eps and pdf files.
> (I created the pdf files -which are simply small figures- with LaTeX using an
> eps file, in order to take advantage of the psfrag package.)
> I have been using tex-live on my Mac for several years now and there was
> no problem at all. Now I downloaded the 2015 version of tex-live (until
> recently I used tex-live 2014) and noticed that where I include a pdf file
> all I get is a blank space of the size of the corresponding figure.
>
> I use the package graphicx and, for example, the command
>
> \includegraphics[width=2in]{sx4_1n.pdf}
>
> to include the pdf file sx4_1n.pdf in a figure environment.
>
> Is there a remedy to this problem?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Sincerely yours
>
> Georgios Akrivis

going back on list, Georgios sent me a test file and I can confirm the
effect, it doesn't seem to be a macro related problem as I copied same
package and cfg files but the image showed with 2014 but not 2015

the file sx4_1n.pdf does not exist but sx4_1n.eps does

\includegraphics{sx4_1n.eps}

works in 2014 and 2015 but

\includegraphics{sx4_1n.pdf}

gives no error but fails to include the file in 2015.

Actually I'm surprised it ever worked but in 2014 it does apparently
input and convert the eps file.

Is this a change in the xdvipdfmx driver config?

David