[tex-live] TexLive Hangs on postactions in win7

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Jan 14 12:57:35 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:58:15AM +0100, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 02:41:07PM +0000, David Rudel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried to install TexLive on win7 and it hangs on the "running package-
> > specific postactions."
> >
> > It has occurred twice. The second time I captured the more verbose log using -
> > v option.
> >
> > Steps I took:
> > 1. Removed texlive folder from previous install.
> > 2. Clicked the installer and selected the unpack option.
> > 3. Right-clicked on "com" and selected "Run as Administrator"

You mean you right-clicked on cmd.exe?

> > 4. Navigated to folder and ran the advance install command with -v option.

Can you send me install-tl.log in the root of the installation? I
want to see whether there is any other funny stuff.

But the problem may very well be yet another instance of excessive
file- and directory locking by Windows. Anyhow, I could not
reproduce your problem and I am not sure what would be the best
workaround in a case such as yours.

> > TexLive made it through all ~3000 installation steps but when it got to
> > "running package-specific postactions" it hung.
> >
> > The last parts of the log file are:
> >
> > finished with path adjustment actions
> > running package-specific postactions
> > D:running postaction=install for dviout.win32
> > Tk::Error: E:\TexLive\install-tl-20150112\install-tl:
> > mkdir(C:/PROGRA~3/MICROS~1/Windows/STARTM~1/Programs/TeX Live 2014/) failed,
> > goodbye: Permission denied
>
> Here it tries to create a directory for the TL menu shortcuts. I'll
> look into this.

By the way: for testing, installing scheme minimal is much faster.

--
Siep Kroonenberg