[tex-live] Issue installing Tex Live on Windows 10

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Aug 6 22:06:50 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 01:07:07PM -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 01:38:42 +0200
> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > The link provided by Michael is absolutely useless because nothing
> > is explained.
>

> I found a thread on the Microsoft community site:
> Also, the registry can be edited to allow the loading of unsigned DLLs:
>
> http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/03/autocad-2015-application-error-0xc0000142-autoruns-for-windows-.html
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd744762%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
>
> which would allow one to exclude that cause. But, as Siep mentioned, this does
> involve editing the registry and not everyone is up to that.

Actually, this is worth a try. Since Andrea can open a command
prompt, other than the person in the referenced thread, he could
copy-and-paste an explicit registry command, which should be safer
than stumbling around in the regedit GUI. Here goes:

Type <windows key>-x to get the maintenance menu, or whatever it is
called, and choose Command Prompt (Admin). Check the current value
of the key concerned by copying and pasting the following command:

reg query "HKLM\software\microsoft\windows NT\currentversion\windows" /v LoadAppInit_DLLs

(On one line)

If the value was already 0 or 0x0 then there is no point in
continuing. Otherwise, copy-and-paste the following, also on one line:

reg add "HKLM\software\microsoft\windows NT\currentversion\windows" /v LoadAppInit_DLLs /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

By the way: the TL installer started on my w10 system whether the
value was 0 or 1.

--
Siep Kroonenberg