[tex-live] [pretest] Update --self hangs

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Apr 27 18:12:29 CEST 2015

Le 27/04/2015 16:03, Uwe Siart a écrit :
> jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> writes:
>
>> $ tlmgr update --self
>> tlmgr: package repository /---/tlpretest
>> tlmgr: saving backups to /---/texlive/2015/tlpkg/backups
>> [1/1, ??:??/??:??] update: texlive.infra [299k] (36854 -> 37030) ... done
>> tlmgr: package log updated: /---/texlive/2015/texmf-var/web2c/tlmgr.log
>> running mktexlsr ...
>> ^C
>
> This looks as if it worked correctly in your case and you just killed
> mktexlsr.

Yes. A manual run of mktexlsr (afterwards) completed in about 4 seconds,
(which is a bit slow compared to the situation on my mac os laptop), but
when I CTRLed-C the tlmgr self update, mktexlsr had been hanged (seemingly)
for some minutes.

It may be relevant that my /texlive/2015 is on a volume which is not
under my $HOME, I don't know the details of the underlying file system,
and the bottleneck might be there.

Indeed, during the update of packages the system again appeared to hang at
some point, perhaps due to some disk activity by another user.

Thus my report is probably not to be taken into consideration, at least
it is not at all of the same nature as your and Ulrike Windows problem,

Also I had left that installation without updating it for ten days, thus
I did not know what was the expected behavior and should presumably have
waited a bit before jumping to the conclusion something was hanged.

> In my case it didn't even get that far. It hang after
>
>> $ tlmgr update --self
>> tlmgr: package repository /---/tlpretest
>
> and here I Ctrl-C'ed after 15 min.

Best
Jean-François