[tex-live] mapping files for OpenType fonts which follow the Unicode system

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Apr 27 00:04:52 CEST 2015

Hi Roger,

    I much prefer using plain \Tex and dvips because of the greater control.

To use dvips, you have to have Type 1 fonts.  dvips does not
support truetype (or opentype).  Therefore you'd have to convert the fonts
you found to Type 1 (assuming their license permits it).  I don't have a
recipe, sorry.  Maybe otftotfm would be of help.

pdftex supports truetype fonts to some extent, if plain tex but not
dvips is of interest.  Thanh wrote an article explaining what has to be
done (not trivial): http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-1/tb94thanh.pdf.

Similarly, luatex and xetex can also read otf/ttf fonts, and don't
require using Unicode input.  For XeTeX, it seems \XeTeXglyph and
related might do what you want (essentially \char for such fonts),
though I haven't tried it myself.  See http://ctan.org/pkg/xetexref.
I didn't look up LuaTeX, but I'm sure it has the equivalent.

There is no simple solution that I know of.  Hope something in that helps.

On a much simpler front,

    (A.) \def\ma{\kern -1.0truept \char237}.

You should put a space after "237", else unexpected expansion can bite you.
\def\ma{\kern -1.0truept \char237 }

I also have to wonder if you really mean "true" pt, i.e., that you
intentionally want the macros to work improperly if \mag is used.

best,
karl