[tex-live] XeTeX or xdvipdfmx Broken on Mac

Jiang Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:44:35 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:21 AM, Jiang Jiang <gzjjgod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:27:03AM -0700, Richard Koch wrote:
>>> If the line near the bottom defining font “J” to be Osaka is commented out,
>>> and the corresponding Japanese text at the end is commented out, this typesets
>>> fine. If we add back the line defining the “J” font, but not the Japanese text,
>>> typesetting is still fine. Adding the final line with Japanese text leads to the
>>> message
>>>
>>> xdvipdfmx:fatal: Invalid font: -1 (6)
>>
>> This seems like a CID font issue in dvipdfmx, which I know near nothing about. A reduced test file:
>> \font\test="Osaka"\test 今日は\bye
>>
>> CC'ing Jiang in case he has any idea about it.
>
> I will have a look today or tomorrow.

How do I build XeTeX and dvipdfmx out of TeXLive svn tree on Mac these days?

configure --disable-all-pkgs --enable-dvipdfm-x --enable-xetex
--without-x -C CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g

builds dvipdfmx but not xetex, there is even no xetex target so
something must have gone wrong during the configure process. If I
don't add --without-x I will reach some X not found for MetaFont
error. (why do we even need that?)

- Jiang