[tex-live] Two problems solved (but it may be useful to report them anyway)

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Apr 20 23:54:45 CEST 2015

TeX Live pretesters:

I just recently installed the texlive2015 pretest. I ran into only
two problems and those have been resolved, but I thought there might
be others who find themselves in my peculiar position who could
benefit from hearing this story.

The first problem can arise if you are a windows user, with
Take Command version 17 installed and you run install-tl-wibdows.bat
from a TCC command shell. I did this and immediately received the
message
Cancel batch job C:\tl\install-tl-20150414\install-tl-windows.bat ? (Y/N/A) :

I traced this to the fragment "%path:~0,1" on line 24, and determined
this to be a bug in version 17 of Take Command because I updated it
to the slightly more recent version (17.00.77) and the problem went away.

So if you are a user of TCC, with an early build of version 17
installed, then either update Take Command or run the install-tl
batch file in a cmd.exe shell. (You can also run an earlier TCC:
version 16 works OK.)

The second problem was that my texmf-local/web2c/ contained
fmtutil-local.cnf and I got the message that I should probably
rename it to fmtutil.cnf. I did that, but my 15 supposedly
disabled formats were generated anyway. In the output of
fmtutil --help one finds one has to use
to disable a format.

It turns out that one has to ignore the first two spaces in that
line, but the space after #! is not optional. I didn't test whether
the other spaces and arguments had to literally match what
was in the Tex Live-supplied fmtutil.cnf, but simply
copy/pasted them, prefixing "#! ", and all was well.

HTH

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
1 University of Arkansas