[tex-live] lineno.sty in humanities repo rather than base for some reason... can it be changed?

Andy Buckley andy.buckley at cern.ch
Sat Sep 6 14:43:47 CEST 2014

Hi,

I was trying to figure out why CTAN lists the commonly used lineno
package as in TeXlive, yet it wasn't available on my Ubuntu texlive base
+ extras installation. Then I found this blog post:

http://shihho.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/latex-lineno/

which explains that for some odd reason lineno is considered a
"humanities" package. As a scientist, I hadn't seen a need to install
texlive-humanities, but can assure you that demand for line numbering
isn't restricted to the humanities ;-)

As far as I can tell this hasn't yet been reported as a bug, and
hopefully isn't just an accidental misassignment or oversight... so:
  Could lineno please be moved to the TeXlive base so it'll be
automatically available in lots of scientific computing environments
that won't have installed the humanities repo?

Thanks,
Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley, Royal Society University Research Fellow
Particle Physics Expt Group, University of Glasgow / PH Dept, CERN