[tex-live] Docdir configure option not honoured

Andreas Enge andreas at enge.fr
Wed Oct 29 17:16:29 CET 2014

Hello, Norbert!

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:33:17AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> We did this in Debian for some time, but I stopped and moved everything
> back to texmf-dist/doc.
>
> The simple reason is
> 	texdoc
>
> I want people to be able to use texdoc to find documentation.
> There is such an amount of docs in TL, that just browsing
> is a pain. texdoc works much better.
>
> You can move it to some other place, but have to make sure
> that the kpathsea still searches it for doc files ...
>
> Or you dump texdoc, but I don't recommend it.

Very nice, I did not know texdoc before. So if I understand things correctly,
in case we create a completely separate directory with the documentation,
we need to add it to the two variables
   TEXMF and TEXMFDBS
in texmf.cnf? Or can we have two directories in TEXMFROOT?

In guix, the two directories would be something like
   /gnu/store/a45w3lck41242h4j4qxcz50vzmgpq9ih-texlive-2014-data
   /gnu/store/ds0hpqkpjfbdwyngi3yv58vm1xiv46d9-texlive-2014-doc

Andreas