[tex-live] Makeindex, version 2.15 [TeX Live 2010] (kpathsea + Thai support)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:50:00 CEST 2014

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> In the default definition \item just puts the text somewhere and
>> assumes that \par will be the first token resulting from an expansion
>> of a following token and this will format the item.
>
> Yes, that was indeed the default behaviour, and for testing purposes I
> could have lived with it, but for the final PDF I will need better
> control (including hyperlinks from page numbers to pages) and that is
> how the question arose.
>
>> I agree that this
>> is not the best markup. I do not know where I found the complete
>> documentation, maybe in the source package. 22 years ago I added the
>> Czech support and I just copy my ist files since that time. A useful
>> example of the ist files is in ltxdoc.
>
> Do you have a (Czech/sample) ,ist file that interpolates a trailing
> delimiter, Zdeněk ?

I have not found such a sample and cannot find the documentation just
now. The svn repository contains many ist files ib subdirectories of
Master/texmf-dist/makeindex. What is used there is basically what I
have in my files, i.e. the delimiter between the text and the page
number is defined, for instance:

% MakeIndex style file gatech-thesis-index.ist
heading_prefix "{\\bfseries\\hfil "      % Insert in front of letter
heading_suffix "\\hfil}\\nopagebreak\n" % Append after letter
headings_flag  1                         % Turn on headings {uppercase}
delim_0        "\\dotfill "
delim_1        "\\dotfill "
delim_2        "\\dotfill "

You can put anything instead of \dotfill and define it as a macro with
a space delimited paramater (without active ^^M) as

\def\mydelim #1 {some definition}

This will easily distinguish end-of-lines after the page number from
those inserted as a result of long lines.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/