[tex-live] Purpose of install-tl-windows.bat

klaus at dante.de klaus at dante.de
Thu May 29 06:22:32 CEST 2014

Hi,

I apolize in advance if my question is due to not following the tex-live list in detail.
In the TL section of the windows setup program for the upcoming TeX Collection DVD I offer  to run install-tl.bat, install-advanced.bat or open the main doc file index.html from the TL root dir.
Now I noticed that a install-tl-windows.bat file was introduced in January that seems to remove all dirs with tex executables from the path variable and to unset all environment variables refering to a maybe existing previous perl installation before calling the normal install-tl.bat. The autorun.inf still refers to install-tl.bat

So it seems that on a plain Windows without Perl calling install-tl-windows or install-tl shouldn't make a difference, while on a windows system with installed Perl install-tl-windows shall prevent compatibility issues by ensuring that the tlperl shipped with TL is used instead of the already installed Perl. Correct?

I'd just like to know, when the user hits the "Run the TL installer" button, shall I start install-tl.bat as before or install-tl-windows.bat instead?

Cheers
Klaus