[tex-live] dvipdfmx in TL2014

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue May 20 11:17:26 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 10:24:45AM +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Tue, 20 May 2014 02:21:49 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
>
> >  > The seac operator is deprecated and a constant source of problem
> >  > expecially with xetex
> >
> > This simply means that XeTeX doesn't support Type 1 fonts properly, if
> > at all.  It's a severe bug if XeTeX complains that a font is using the
> > seac operator.
>
> Well xetex (xdvipdfmx) complains only if one tries to use type1
> fonts directly (instead of using the "old way" with tfm files) --
> something that isn't done often. With "constant source" I didn't
> want to express that it is a large problem, only that it pops up
> regularly over the past years - ditto the warning of dvipdfmx which
> seems to be harmless.
>
> The xetex bug has been around for many years:
> http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-March/008910.html

Just to clarify, this is an (x)dvipdfmx issue, XeTeX itself don't care
about the charstrings and what operators they use.

It seems using Type1 as a "native" fonts triggers a code path that does
not like seac operators (from the look of it, (x)dvipdfmx is trying to
embed the font as CID Type 0C and it does not like seac here, while if
it were used as TFM font it embeds it as Type 1C font).

Regards,
Khaled