[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Jul 18 09:04:54 CEST 2014

Am Thu, 17 Jul 2014 18:37:11 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:

>     [1kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid fontname `<augie___.pfb', contains '<'
>
> It is easy enough to change (x)dvipdfmx to accept and ignore the extra <
> in what is supposed to mean full embedding in a map file line
> (fontmap_parse_mapdef_dps in fontmap.c, looks like).

> The bigger question is whether (x)dvipdfmx actually needs to force full
> embedding in that case.  That does not look so simple to me, but your
> message also implies it is not needed, that you are just trying to work
> around syntactic incompatibilities for the sake, ultimately, of pdftex.

Well, if I remember everything correctly then there are two
problems:

1. that (x)dvipdfmx gives errors when the <<-syntax is used.

2. that (x)dvipdfmx can't load otf-fonts through map-entries even if
the "<"-syntax is used. That is not really a problem for normal text
fonts - they can be easily loaded through fontspec -- but it is if
the fonts needs to be reencoded e.g. for math packages.

So the bigger question is if one could enable embedding of otf-fonts
through map-entries at all, subsetting can come later ;-)

>     But in the case of the adobe garamondm utopia, GFSBodoni and other
>     fonts this it not an option: Here otf-fonts are loaded

> gfsbodoni has pfb files, and gfsbodoni.map loads them.
> So I don't get that one.

There are also map-entries which uses otf:

md-grbr7m GFSBodoni-Regular " AutoEnc_py5znvjh3poy4qksuktslsc7kc
ReEncodeFont " <[a_py5znv.enc <<GFSBodoni.otf

>     and pdftex can handle them only if they are fully embeded.
>
> On another front, it seems that it would be desirable for pdftex to
> fully download otf files entirely, regardless of the map file spec,
> instead of just reporting an error and giving up.  I admit it's not
> clear to me when one would want to play with otf files in pdftex in the
> first place, but fine.

Why not? It avoids to have to convert fonts to pfb (which is perhaps
not allowed) and to handle two variants of a font (e.g. how to
prevent xelatex to find the pfb instead of the otf). And at least in
miktex pdftex can access such fonts directly from the system folder.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/