[tex-live] (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jul 17 20:37:11 CEST 2014

    [1kpathsea:make_tex: Invalid fontname `<augie___.pfb', contains '<'

It is easy enough to change (x)dvipdfmx to accept and ignore the extra <
in what is supposed to mean full embedding in a map file line
(fontmap_parse_mapdef_dps in fontmap.c, looks like).

The bigger question is whether (x)dvipdfmx actually needs to force full
embedding in that case.  That does not look so simple to me, but your
message also implies it is not needed, that you are just trying to work
around syntactic incompatibilities for the sake, ultimately, of pdftex.

    But in the case of the adobe garamondm utopia, GFSBodoni and other
    fonts this it not an option: Here otf-fonts are loaded

gfsbodoni has pfb files, and gfsbodoni.map loads them.
So I don't get that one.

    and pdftex can handle them only if they are fully embeded.

On another front, it seems that it would be desirable for pdftex to
fully download otf files entirely, regardless of the map file spec,
instead of just reporting an error and giving up.  I admit it's not
clear to me when one would want to play with otf files in pdftex in the
first place, but fine.

thanks,